All about Camp BIG WHEEL Rides
Head of the Pack
Our "Head of the Pack" riders will take part in our longer rides. These rides feature higher sustained speeds and have a "racier" feel to them with some pace-line work and close quarters riding. "Head of the Pack" riders are both skilled and experienced riding in a peloton and have solid fitness. Stops are less frequent and quick in time. Most of these riders train 10hrs or more a week.
Building the Miles
Our "Building The Miles" riders will tackle our medium distance routes each day. These rides feature sustained speed, but at a more conversational pace. These rides also feature regrouping points and more relaxed stops. With that said, the group does "boogie", expect to have a just the right amount of intensity woven into each ride. Building The Miles riders generally train 4-8hrs per week
WHAT DOES THAT ACTUALLY MEAN?
- Our goal is to host a camp that helps you prepare for your late-spring and summer events, not smash you on any single training ride.
- That is why Camp BIG WHEEL features medium and long routes, each day.
- Campers are encouraged to choose the route distance/duration that best suits their current fitness as well as their long-range goals.
- We will spend the majority of each day riding as a peloton. Therefore, it is best to ride with a peloton in which you are challenged, but not riding over your head.
- In most cases we encourage Athletes to choose the ride in which they can be a “medium-sized fish in a medium sized pond”, so to speak. We don’t want anyone struggling to keep up with the group!
- As always Big Wheel Coaches are available to help you make game time decisions.